Thursday, April 16, 2015

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is on TIME Magazine's "100 Most Influential People" List.

I am writing about Chimamanda because she promotes that African beauty that this blog represents.
"Ms Adichie is described in the US magazine as "rare novelist who in the space of a year finds her words sampled by Beyonce, optioned by Lupita Nyong'o and honoured with the National Book Critics Circle Award for fiction".
"With her viral TEDxEuston talk, We Should All Be Feminists, she found her voice as cultural critic," wrote Radhika Jones, a deputy managing editor of Time" BBC.


Nigerian flag on North Pole! Yay!!

This blog is about celebrating everything beautiful about the African continent. So, I am happy to announce that you can officially see the Nigerian flag on North Pole. Thanks to the gorgeous Teudon Morgan for participating in the North Pole marathon! 

Tuedon told the BBC that "The North Pole was extremely difficult for me: It was so cold, with temperatures of -41 C, and I noticed that my body was losing a lot of energy - it was like the magnetic field was sucking all my energy out.
The last 4km (2.5 miles) were the hardest for me - I started to see buildings where I knew that there was nothing there.
I didn't have any training for this - I didn't have any snow to train on.
In Qatar, where I live, it's the extreme opposite: I wear T-shirts and shorts to run; in the North Pole you have to wear all these different layers.

North Pole Marathon finish line
There are no crowds at the North Pole Marathon to cheer on the runners


We were 44 competitors from 22 countries and I finished quite late, I was one of the last people to finish. But I compete[d] with myself. I was just singing and praying and when I got to the bend where I could see where other people had planted their flags, I kept saying to myself: "I have to plant the Nigerian flag there; your country's flag has to be there."

Tuedon with the Nigerian flag # she made it to the finish line 










No comments:

Post a Comment